Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chick-Fil-Hate

Two weeks ago, Mike Huckabee designated August 1st as "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day". He encouraged his listeners to show their support for this fast food chain by eating there on the first day in August. This was in response to a recent controversy when the owner of the restaurant made some remarks about not supporting gay marriage. Instant manufactured political controversy. Every August, our country seems to go through some faux-outrage controversy. Its considered a "slow news month" so that's the reason why our media will focus on missing white women, shark attacks, claims of finding Big Foot, or the most outrageous one of all: in 2006, some American guy living in Thailand claimed to be the one who murdered JonBenet Ramsey (the tyke beauty queen who was found dead in 1996). The media obsessed over that story and he returned to the U.S. to face legal action, only to find out that there was no way he was the guy (still, one has to be pretty sick to claim a murder that he did not commit, especially when he has a strange history regarding women in the first place).

I was hoping that this August might have a little substance, since the Olympics and the Republican National Convention would take up a good chunk of it. Nope. The first day of the month started with a manufactured cultural war crisis. I could tell from the postings on Facebook that this got serious attention, pro and con. My conservative friends mentioned going to eat Chick-Fil-A on that day. My liberal friends were knocking the restaurant. Amusing memes were passed along. I even saw a hilarious video of some gay guy acting like he's working the front counter at one, as Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin, and Herman Cain show up for their meal. It was pretty funny.

My opinion is that I have little patience for overheated / overblown controversies such as this. It served to distract from the growing narrative that demanded Romney show more of his tax returns than the partials he has shown for just two years. Controversies such as this was good for Romney. It took the heat off of him. I want to see his tax returns. I couldn't care less about Chick-Fil-A. There aren't any in Portland, so there was nothing to boycott. I will admit, though, that I do like Chick-Fil-A. I ate lunch there when I visited a friend in South Carolina last year. I love their waffle fries and their lemonade. The char-grilled chicken sandwich is pretty good, too. If I lived in a place that had the restaurant, I'm not sure that I would boycott them, but I certainly would not have eaten there on August 1st.

When a photo appeared of Todd and Sarah Palin holding their order, it made me sick. Anything to maintain her strange relationship with her fanbase, the teabaggers who eat this shit up like hash browns and grits. It appears as though she has to jump into every national controversy to show that she's squarely on the side of bigotry, religiosity, and faux outrage. She's a cultural warrior chasing after fool's gold. This does not increase her stature at all. It just cements her image in the mind of most people that she's clueless and petty. Oh well. Her fans may love it, but it'll be interesting to hear what they think about her not being invited to the Republican National Convention at the end of this month. The star of the 2008 Convention has finally flamed out into irrelevance. Finally! Thank God!

No comments: