Monday, July 02, 2012

Music Video Monday: Dashboard Confessional



This week's music video selection is by a group called Dashboard Confessional, who have an awesome song called "Vindicated", which is connected to the Spider-man 2 film. I don't actually remember hearing that song in the film. I only discovered the song last year when I was looking for songs that deal with "vindication" to use in my annual Christmas newsletter (last year, my theme was a Billboard Magazine Top 20 song chart). I actually liked the song and included it in my newsletter.

Tonight, there are some midnight showings of the new and rebooted The Amazing Spider-man. I plan to see it after work on Tuesday. I'm more excited about this one than I was about the Tobey Maguire film in 2002. A big reason is that Andrew Garfield actually looks more like the Peter Parker in the comic books than Tobey Maguire did. I'm not a fanboy, but Spider-man is actually my favourite comic book superhero since childhood. I used to watch the TV show back in the 1970s. Then I collected the comic books in the mid-to-late 1980s. I was particularly taken by the artistic talents of Todd McFarlane. When he became really successful, he launched his own Spider-man title (which already had three different titles: The Amazing Spider-man, The Web of Spider-man, and another one I can't remember). I was not impressed with McFarlane's writing style, though. He had the annoying habit of stretching stories out over five comic book issues rather than one and it often used a single word per panel within the comic book pages. But his art was amazing.

When I was a teenager, I dreamed of writing a Spider-man screenplay, with Steve Guttenberg starring as Peter Parker (Back in the 1980s, he resembled the Peter Parker of the comic books, too). There were ads for a Spider-man film in the late 1980s or early 1990s, but Marvel Comics was wise to wait until the technology caught up. When the first film was released in 2002, it did phenomenal, earning over $400 million at the box office, the most ever earned by a comic book action hero. This happpened in the year that Episode II of George Lucas' Star Wars prequels was released. Now, we'll see how this reboot with new actors and new director will do. I'm excited.

No comments: