Monday, June 25, 2012

Music Video Monday: George Michael (Wham!)



George Michael turns 49 today. My favourite song by him is "Love Is In Need Of Love Today", but since I featured that song in a Music Video post back in 2008, no need to repeat it again. He has a lot of songs to choose from. For today's selection, I chose "Everything She Wants", which was a popular song at the end of my 7th grade year. It's actually my favourite Wham! song. I always liked the nasty funk to it. In fact, I consider this song to be one of the most sexual songs ever recorded. The melody has a very sexual vibe to it and based on the lyrics, it sounds like George Michael is a gigolo.

His popularity soared in 1987-1988 when he released his Faith album, which was the best selling album of 1988, if I'm not mistaken. It's hard to believe that he was only 25 years old when his singles from his solo debut album kept going straight to #1. All the girls in my class had a crush on him and a few guys believed that George Michael was gay and would taunt the girls with that. I was not a fan, though I liked a few songs. I was definitely not a fan of his ballads. I could not understand why "Father Figure" made it to the top of the singles chart. I did like "One More Try." I did not like "Kissing a Fool" (too jazzy). His later albums would continue his mellowing out, with "Praying For Time", "Jesus to a Child" and other forgettable songs. I prefer the rhythms of his "I Want Your Sex", "Monkey", "Faith", "Freedom '90", "Too Funky", "Happy", "Fastlove", "Outside", and his Wham! hits "I'm Your Man", "Everything She Wants", "The Edge of Heaven", and "Freedom." The only ballad that I really like, though, is "Careless Whisper."

Happy Birthday, George Michael. Hope your last year in your 40s is no "Monkey."

1 comment:

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

I wasn't familiar with him, Sansego. Thanks for posting!