Monday, May 07, 2012

Music Video Monday: Beastie Boys



On Friday, music fans learned that Adam "MCA" Yauch of the Beastie Boys died at the age of 47. It came as quite the shock. The Beastie Boys were the first rap group that I actually liked, but my like of them only came after everyone else I knew at the time was already into them. I was a teenager in Germany at the time. Their debut album, License to Ill, was released in the U.S. in November 1986. It was probably sometime in the spring of 1987 with the release of the song and music video "Fight For Your Right (To Party)" tearing up the charts that they became popular among military dependents living on American bases in Germany. I did not like that song at all, so I didn't pay much attention to them.

However, in the summer of 1987, I took up skateboarding as an amateur hobby / interest and the crowd I was hanging with would listen to License To Ill all summer long. That's when I really got into them, as they had so many songs on that album that were so much better than their lead single. I will review the album on this Friday's "Flashback Friday." This week's Music Video Monday is in tribute to Adam Yauch for his contributions to the band and for helping to make the Beastie Boys an especially noteworthy band that lasted far longer than they otherwise might've (Adam was a big supporter of the Dalai Lama and the Free Tibet movement). Before the Beastie Boys came along, the big name rap groups / stars were all African American: Run DMC, LL Cool J, Grandmaster Flash, and Doug E. Fresh. I admit that it probably took a group of young white guys to make "rap" non-threatening and more acceptable for suburbanite kids.

I decided to go with "No Sleep Til Brooklyn" over "Fight For Your Right (To Party)" because its a much better song (probably my favourite on their album). Enjoy!

No comments: