Monday, April 30, 2012

Music Video Monday: Man Or Muppet



This past weekend, I watched The Muppets, finally. For a bit of nostalgia. The film was aimed at our generation (many of whom have children of movie-going age). I grew up on The Muppet Show and The Muppet Movie and Sesame Street. It's embarrassing to admit, but in elementary school, I had a "crush" on Miss Piggy. I always liked when she got mad.

This movie was aimed at bringing the Muppets back into public consciousness and popularity. However, while the film did do a fairly good job at balancing the nostalgia factor with the inside jokes and playing tribute to the past, I wasn't all that impressed. I guess its a positive sign that I grew out of it. I've been wondering in the past few years what it is about our brains that makes a person no longer be interested in the things that they were once interested in. For example, a few weeks ago, when I went to see a documentary film, I was stunned by the number of superhero / action flick trailer that were shown, including the new Spider-man and Batman films. I loved those two comic books as a teenager and enjoyed the previous films, but as I watched the trailers, I didn't even feel a twinge of excitement like I would have as a teenager or young adult. I plan to see the new Spider-man and Batman films this summer, but a part of me wonders if I'll be bored by them. Perhaps this is what it means to grow up? The gray matter comes in and pushes out the "childish things" of the past?

What I did like about the new Muppets movie is this song, "Man or Muppet", which was nominated for Best Original Song at the Oscars (I forgot which song won). I love the line, "if I'm a man, then I'm a muppet of a man; if I'm a muppet, then I'm a manly muppet." The song is hilarious and it really did get to me. The lyrics are downright clever and the song is absolutely brilliant. While I was hoping for more out of the film, I think it did the job it was meant to: helping our generation introduce the younger generation to a lovable cast of characters. Sure beats "Spongebob Squarepants."

1 comment:

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Definitely beats sponge bob!!