Monday, November 14, 2011

Music Video Monday: Stephen Bishop



Today is Stephen Bishop's birthday. Who, you ask? Exactly! He was a singer-songwriter who was big in the late 70s and early 80s. He turns 60 years old today. The song I remember him for is "It Might Be You" from the Dustin Hoffman film Tootsie, in which Hoffman plays an actor who is struggling to get an acting job and when a soap opera is hiring a female role, he decides to cross-dress in order to win that role. This complicates matters when he falls in love with the star actress, who views him (er, her) as a good girl friend to confide in. Even more complications ensue when she invites Hoffman-as-Dorothy home to visit, and her father falls in love! Its been quite a few years since I've seen the movie. I remember my parents taking us to see it when it played in theaters (1982 or 1983). It seems like a strange film for parents to take elementary school age boys to see, but I was amused by it. The gender switching roles were confusing. I also remember seeing Victor / Victoria, which was even more confusing (Julie Andrews played a woman who plays a man pretending to be a woman, or something like that). What I remember most about Tootsie is that I liked Dorothy and it was weird to think of her as being an act by Michael Dorsey (Dustin Hoffman's character). That was also the problem for the female lead, Jessica Lange's character. She felt like Dorothy was a great friend and Michael just didn't cut it. Charming film!

Anyhow, as I looked on Wikipedia for birthdays, I was stunned to learn that "It Might Be You" only made it as high as #25 on the Billboard Top Singles Chart in 1983. I loved this song as a kid and had I been in charge of charting the song, this one would definitely have reached #1! If I'm not mistaken, the song also appeared in the film Waiting to Exhale, when the four African American ladies are in the car and this song comes on and they sing along. Timeless! The song's melody captures the early 1980s sound that I like: soft pop, but not quite elevator muzak.


Also celebrating a birthday today is Condoleezza Rice! None of my friends can understand it, but I will admit to having a crush on my dear sweet Condi. She was the only member of the Bush Administration that I liked and I would not even mind seeing her become the first female president if she's interested in running in 2016. However, I think her political days are over. As her new memoirs point out in the title, there is no higher honour than serving as Secretary of State.

Well, this is a perfect birthday two-fer. Happy Birthday, Condoleezza! Remember, "It Might Be You"! ("Something's telling me it might be you, all of my life...").

No comments: