Monday, November 21, 2011

Music Video Monday: Gloria Estefan



For this week of Thanksgiving, I selected a song by Gloria Estefan that I "rediscovered" recently and I love the lyrics. I don't think I ever really paid much attention to the lyrics when I first heard it more than 20 years ago (I believe it played on the current radio playlist in 1989). I've always preferred Gloria Estefan / Miami Sound Machine's uptempo songs, but as her career progressed, she sang more and more ballads (I theorized at the time that it was because her ballads charted higher than her dance songs). I love her "Don't Wanna Lose You", "Coming Out of the Dark", and "Reach" (the official theme song of the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games), but its her high-energy dance songs ("Conga", "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You", "Get On Your Feet" and others) that really get me moving.

How did I recently "rediscover" this song? Well, every year when I write the newsletter, part of my tradition includes an appropriate song lyric to include at the top of the newsletter (and sometimes also at the signature line). This year, however, I'm doing something really creative and will utilize more than one song. "Get On Your Feet" made the cut for the songs I'm featuring this year. I think they lyrics are quite relevant regarding my year.

One thing I love about "rediscovering" old favourites is that it gives me new appreciation for the song and artist. I don't have Gloria Estefan's greatest hits, so maybe I should go look for a CD to buy. Gloria Estefan was among my favourites as a teenager. She's just an incredibly beautiful woman (a Cuban-American) and a great talent. Her "Miami sound" was a mixture of pop and Latin music, with "Conga" being the classic in terms of capturing that unique sound. I haven't heard anything from her lately, but I hope she hasn't mellowed like other favourite artists from the 1980s.

If you're ever feeling down and need a reason to pick yourself up and face life again, try this song. Its a perfect "pick-me-up". Who needs Prozac when you have music?

No comments: