Monday, September 12, 2011

Music Video Monday: Macy Gray



A couple weeks ago, a friend of mine (whom I know through church when we attended church camp as Junior High aged youth) posted this song on her Facebook wall. I had not heard it before and I was stunned. How did I miss this one? It was released in the spring of 2010. I could have used this song for an energizing boost during my difficulty trying to escape from the job from hell. This song is so catchy and cool, with great lyrics. This is the perfect pop song. You simply cannot be unhappy listening to a song like this! So, thanks to my friend, I discover a song that radio stations did not play, which shows how bad our music industry has become. If they aren't playing a sure-fire hit song like this, what is their problem?!?

This song marked a come-back of sorts for Macy Gray. She burst onto the music scene in 1999 with the song "I Try". She has one of the most unique singing voices I had ever heard, so it stood out. Based on that one single (which radio stations did play often), I just had to buy her debut album, On How Life Is. As an intern in D.C., I saw Macy's debut CD in a store and bought it. What a pleasant surprise it was! I loved it and the album still ranks on my Top Ten list of Best Debut Albums of All Time. She was hard to compare to any other singer, but the one that came to mind was Tracy Chapman. Not that their music style is even remotely alike. All they have in common is that they are both black female singers with unique voices and a great debut album.

Also like Chapman, subsequent albums were disappointments so I never bothered to buy any (so grateful that Amazon allows buyers to listen to song clips before buying!). Its a shame that for over a decade, Macy had not built on her debut success. Until now. "Beauty in the World" is even better than "I Try." It is the perfect song to listen to when you need a boost, when you need a reason to smile or to go on another day facing whatever struggles you face. It is quite a spiritual song and it makes me wonder if she is influenced by the Universal Law of Attraction concepts. For those not familiar, the Universal Law of Attraction is a New Agey spiritual belief that we attract what our subconscious emits. If we focus on the negative, then negative experiences will come into our life. If we focus on the positive, then positive experiences will show up. Like cleaves unto like. Even if we are in a bad space and going down a spiral, all it takes is several seconds to change our feelings. Focusing on the beauty we see in the moment is enough to stop a downward spiral.

So, I love this song and video. Hope you do, too. This will definitely place in my Top Five songs of the year. On the 10th anniversary and one day of the 9/11 attacks, we could all use a little beauty in the world.

No comments: