Monday, July 25, 2011

Music Video Monday: Amy Winehouse



In memoriam to British singer Amy Winehouse, this week's music video is dedicated to her. She died this past weekend, joining the "27 Club", which is a strange age coincidence (there is supposedly a higher percentage of musicians who have died at age 27). This club includes Jim Morrison of The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Kurt Cobain of Nirvana. There are plenty more (check out "27 Club" on Wikipedia for more info).

I never heard Amy Winehouse's music before. Actually, I heard "Rehab", but I didn't know who sang that song. I only vaguely paid attention to her, as she seemed to be in the news more for her drug and alcohol problems than her music. When she's more famous for her personal flaws than for her talents, I tend to tune out. So, upon news of her death, I had to take to YouTube to hear her songs. I'm actually impressed. Her music sounds pretty fresh. Its easy to get into her groove. I like, very much! Some of her lyrics are dark, though. Its like she was telling her fans that she's messed up and could go at any time. "Rehab" and this one, "You Know I'm No Good" seem to be indicative of her troubled personal life.

Whenever I hear of a celebrity death at such a young age, I think: "what an incredible waste!" All that talent, all that success, and she couldn't find happiness. Fame is a hard thing, though. There's no training for it. A person could spend years developing their talent and making their album (or movie or novel) as good as they feel it can be, then put it out there. With so much already out there, most people don't find success. You never really know what catches fire with audiences. For the person who finds success and fortune and fame, the demands increase. Whatever was not developed becomes magnified. A person with "issues" is going to have even more "issues", since fans tend to put expectations on their idols and create their own images of what their superstar is supposed to represent. It can be a lot to deal with for a person suffering with insecurities, doubts, and feelings that they weren't worthy of the fame, fortune, or fans.

Its sad to see another young star fall prey to the beast of the entertainment industry. However, there is a joke that I'm sure most people have heard spoken: "Death is a great career move." Her next album could have been a dud. Her fame could've been on the wane. At least with death, especially at age 27, she becomes a legend. Sales of her music may even increase. We saw this with Michael Jackson two summers ago. In the year after his death, he had sold A BILLION DOLLARS worth of music, DVD, and other souvenir merchandise (about $100 was my contribution). And for people like me who never discovered her music when she was alive, she now has our attention and I'm always on the lookout for great new music. So, yeah, I may be buying her album soon.

If you're an aspiring performer, do us all a favour. Deal with your insecurity issues BEFORE fame finds you! It'll only get worse from then on. Yeah, Lindsay Lohan. I'm talking directly to you, too.

No comments: