Monday, May 16, 2011

Music Video Monday: Marc Cohn



This week's music video selection is a great song from twenty summers ago..."Walking in Memphis" by Marc Cohn. I was in YN "A" School in the summer of 1991 and this is one of several songs that transport me back to that awesome summer when I was new in the Navy, with Basic Training behind me and an unknown duty station ahead of me. My "A" School was in Meridian, Mississippi. I thought it was a boring and racist state. There was little to do off the base. Meridian was just a sleepy Southern town where religion was evident everywhere. I had the most amazing taxi ride of my life one night on the way back from the movie theater to the base with a buddy of mine. Somehow, my buddy got into a religious discussion with the cab driver about "the last days" and this prompted to driver to take his eyes off the dark road ahead of us (late at night) and look for his Bible in his glove compartment box, then open the Bible to the passage to quote, and then read the quote, all while driving...then getting into a drag race with another taxi headed back to base. Crazy!

During my 7 weeks there, in America's poorest state, I did not get to see New Orleans (an MWR trip was cancelled) or Memphis. Six years later, I drove through a corner of Mississippi and passed through Memphis on my way to college. I did not stop, though, as I drove on, through Arkansas and into Oklahoma before stopping for the night. Someday, I'd like to do a Memphis vacation, to see Graceland, Beale Street, the Pyramid, as well as an excursion to Little Rock to see the Clinton Presidential Library and Museum. Right now, though, Memphis is flooded, along with other places along the Mississippi River. This comes after the South experienced more tornadoes in the month of April than what usually occurs during an entire tornado season. Are these the signs of the last days?

Why is Pat Robertson strangely silent about these weather phenomena? He had no hesitation to blame 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina on liberals or the devastating earthquake in Haiti on long-dead Haitians. Why the silence, Reverend? Is it because the states getting the brunt of natural disasters right now happen to vote Republican?!? Maybe God is punishing them for voting for Bush? Apparently, that's Robertson's logic when a city or state known to be liberal is met with natural disaster. I can already hear what he will say if the big one ever hits San Francisco. But nope. Nothing but silence regarding the disaster in the South.

I don't want to make light of the tragedy, because I'm not saying that God does this sort of thing. People need to stop assigning disasters to God or Satan or equating the disaster with the behaviour of people. This is weather, a natural occurrence, which does not respect anyone's beliefs. It goes where it goes, without rhyme or reason and all we're left with is to pick up the pieces.

Back to the song "Walking in Memphis." Marc Cohn has such a great voice and the song is perfect. I have no idea why he became a one hit wonder. He should've had a couple more hit songs. Like the song "Waiting for a Star to Fall," when "Walking in Memphis" played on the radio, I liked the song, but it wasn't an overwhelming "hit song" for me the way "Rush Rush" by Paula Abdul and "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)" by Bryan Adams were that summer. Gosh, I can't believe that was 20 years ago. I feel old!!! I wasn't even 20 years old when I was in "A" School, yet it felt like forever from birth to age 19, while a blink of an eye from 19 to 39. Please make time slow down!!!

1 comment:

T said...

Have heard way too often about how natural disasters are god's way of punishing people for...well, whatever. Nutcases like robertson abound.
Trish