Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hitting a Nerve

In the past couple of weeks, two blog posts I've written seem to have struck a nerve with a few vocal people. I was stunned. With well over a hundred million blogs out there, I am flattered that people have found my blog and read my viewpoints regarding drugs and atheism. Yes, those were the two most controversial posts, perhaps ever.

My post about drugs being "the Devil's candy" is by far the most popular post in the past year. From my daily statistical data counter, the hits on this particular blog post is anywhere from 50% to 80% of all traffic to my blog. I have well over 1,000 blog posts that are Google-searchable, but the drug one has spiked traffic to my blog. A few people have left comments questioning my expertise and criticizing what amounts to a personal opinion (based on observation, articles I've read, and yes, even intuitive insight). I know it might come as a shock to some people, but when you are reading someone's blog, you are, in fact, reading a blogger's opinion about any number of topics of the blogger's interest. If you came onto my blog looking for actual medical facts, tests, equations, and scientific theories with controls, well, I hate to disappoint you. I started this blog as an opinion journal, where I review movies, music, popular culture, and give my political perspective or talk about my spiritual ideas. If this bothers you, well, you aren't going to hurt my feelings if you decide that you don't like my ideas and take your eyeballs elsewhere. With over a hundred million blogs, I'm confident that you will find a blog that suits you just fine.

One posted comment showed up in my email in-box. When I went to the actual blog post to respond, the comment was gone. However, I saved the email notification and will post it here, because I'm amazed by the amount of anger in the person's comments. Just because he did not like my view about drug use? Strange. Here's what he said (spelling left intact):

"you're an idiot. You clearly have no actual evidence to state your claim. Just you foul, ignorant, stupid opinion. I smoke marijuana every day and I am the charge M.D on my floor and make $150,000 a year (not trying to boast my wage), and I somke marijauna every day. You sir, are clearly stuck in low wage jobs as you clearly stated, and you have the nerve to say that it is harmful to the brain and makes it so you can't think straight? You are clearly an uneducated bum. Get to school, get a good job, get some factual information, stop speaking on subjects you know nothing about, and start smoking some weed. Peace"

Whoa. I'm actually stunned. I'm not genius...but I bet you that there aren't very many people who would want to be operated on by a Doctor who is under the influence of any drugs. Maybe that's why he deleted his comment, because he was afraid that it might be traced back to him and he'll lose his $150k salary. My response? Well...go ahead and smoke your dope every day for the rest of your life and see just how sharp your brain will be when you're older.

Why are pot-smokers so defensive about their habits? Am I stupid because I don't quote medical articles that are pro-marijuana? Do I have to use marijuana to have credibility in what I say? Well, I don't need to touch poison ivy to know that it will give my skin a rash. I don't need to eat hemlock or mistletoe to know that it will kill me. Thus, I don't need to smoke a joint to know that it makes one forgetful, lazy / unmotivated, paranoid and hungry. The ultimate question is, why do people take any drugs? Why? Does it really take a genius or a user to answer such a question? Does one have to be a credentialed Medical Doctor to be able to answer such a question?

People take drugs because they want to experience the feeling of euphoric bliss. That's it. It really is that simple. People will endure the side-effects for that momentary experience of euphoric bliss. If there was another way to experience euphoric bliss, more people would choose that way. I'm here to tell people that there is absolutely another way to experience euphoric bliss. Its called "meditation." It requires patience, but it has no side effects. Well, none of the negative kind, anyway. The positive side effects of meditation include a calmer mind, more patience, a deeper connection to one's soul, greater insights into one's life. When one partakes drugs, the body grows a tolerance for it, so you're having to have larger doses in order to experience the same effect. With meditation, its the opposite. The more you meditate, the easier it gets to reach that blissful state.

So don't get angry at me because I'm criticizing drug use. I'm just saying things other people have said in an attempt to save you money, time, your body, and your mind. There is no good that can come from long-term, regular drug use and that includes marijuana.

Now, about the other post. The one about atheism. I was stunned to see some angry comments by someone who made no effort to get to know me (through my blog). If he read some of my political posts, he might have found a worthy ally. However, he took the one area of disagreement and thoroughly attempted to trash me on his own blog. I read quite a few posts on his blog and don't find him to be a bad guy at all. I guess this illustrates a fundamental difference between him and I. Since elementary school, I have had a tendency to find common ground with all kinds of people. I like to focus on our similarities and base friendships on that. This guy, however, seems to prefer to focus on differences and create enemies where none exists. In his own write-up about why he created a blog, he said that he started one in order to criticize an online blogger. It looks like he goes surfing the Internet, looking for blog posts to criticize. What a sad way to live.

His rebuke of my blog post entitled "The Problem with Atheists" only proved to me that my impression of atheists is correct. Every atheist I've met (the vocal activist kind) takes egotistical pride in his or her intellect and reasoning ability. Because of this pride, their worst fear is being duped by any idea that cannot be proven by science, thus why they reject any and all spiritual ideas. In my post, I was not telling atheists to join a church, nor was I telling them to go to hell. I was simply pointing out that in every person's life exists coincidences and moments of synchronicity. Instead of rejecting them as "just a coincidence", why not ponder a little deeper and see where it leads? What is so wrong about that? Why are they so afraid to examine how the universe works? That's all I'm advocating. I'm not promoting a religion. I'm not saying that God is an old man with a beard ruling on some distant throne and condemning everyone to hell. What is wrong with examining the meaning of one's life and the events that have occurred? To me, my numerous coincidences and moments of synchronicities testify that we live in a universe operated by a creative energy force. Perhaps that's what God truly is: a creative energy field that we belong to, like individual drops of water that make up an ocean.

One commenter dismissed my White House experience as my seeing what I want to see. Its exactly the answer that an atheist always gives. This is the biggest reason why atheists pushed me out of atheism. I had a series of strange coincidences from 1991 through 1994 and when I shared them with atheists, they always dismissed them. I understand that it is easy to dismiss someone else's experiences with coincidence, because coincidences are PERSONAL. The observer is unable to understand the internal thoughts and feelings that occur in the person having the experience. When outer events reflect the internal thoughts that a person had, the person experiences a kind of "electricity" within (and even goosebumps and chills, in a good way). Deja vu experiences operate a lot like this. There is a sense of "knowing", of euphoric bliss, of being in the flow. This is why I believe that people have to base their spirituality on their own experiences, not on events they believe might have happened two thousand years ago. Spirituality is a living, breathing process. To deny one's unexplainable events as "just a meaningless coincidence" is to deprive oneself of one of the greatest experiences humans are able to have for free!

The reason why I used the White House internship experience as an example was because it was the one moment in my life where everything happened even better than I had dreamed about for eight years. For four months in my life, everything was perfect. There were many little coincidences within that general experience. I'm not going to list all my coincidental experiences on my public blog, because I believe its important to save some for my own privilege and pleasure. The Bible even advises people "not to show their pearls before swine." Its an unflattering advice, but the point is clear. When you have an experience so awesome, you want to share, but because other people didn't experience it, they will naturally tear it down and try to spoil your experience. Better to hold that experience close to your heart and only share with those who have experienced the same things as you.

I do understand why the Universal Law of Attraction is a controversial idea. I can't explain how it works or why, nor can I answer for people who are killed in war, accidents, by another person's malicious intent, or whatever. I can only experiment with it within my own life. That's all anyone can do. Do the ideas resonate with you or not? If not, move on to an idea that does. With me, coincidences, synchronicities, and the Universal Law of Attraction resonates with me and explain the amazing events of my own life. So, you can just take your bitter atheistic views to one of the other hundred million blogs out there. Thank you for stopping by and once again reaffirming for me why leaving the atheist group I was once a part of in the mid-1990s was the right decision to make.

No comments: