Monday, February 21, 2011

Music Video Monday: Yannick



Last week, I was listening to my Jersey Boys Broadway Cast CD for the first time in a couple years and was reminded of a French song that I loved a few years ago: "Ces Soirees La" by Yannick. This French language hip hop song utilized the most vital aspect that any hip hop song hoping to capture my fancy does: sampling a popular pop song. In Yannick's case, he used a classic Frankie Valli song: "December 1963 (Oh What a Night!)" and created a fresh new song. I love it when musicians do this! I know some purists who consider it to be a form of creative laziness or outright theft. I much prefer a brand new song from a classic old song than a remake that sticks close to the original (listen to Ace of Base's "Cruel Summer" as compared to Bananarama's original or Savage Garden's "Last Christmas" in comparison to Wham's original. Not very original remakes, as it sounds like they are trying to sing it the same way as the original artist, which is boring!).

Some Friday, I'll have to do a countdown on my favourite "recycled" songs of all time. Probably not this Friday, though.

Hope you enjoy! This song got bounce!!! French rap sounds really smooth, too. Love it.

No comments: