Monday, January 10, 2011

Music Video Monday: Olivia Newton-John



Today's music video selection is a song that always transports me back to childhood: Olivia Newton-John's "Magic." This song was a HUGE HIT for me in childhood. One of the first songs that I was really crazy about and listened to over and over. The music video shows just how far we've come since the early days of this medium. This song was a hit on the radio before MTV existed. The melody is pure early 80s (which is my favourite era of popular music: 1980 to 1982). So many great songs came out in this three year period.

A few years ago, as I was looking for inspiration, I remembered this song and looked up the lyrics. I did not realize just how awesome the lyrics are. It seems like the song is about one's spiritual guide or daimon or muse. The lyrics makes the song even more awesome for me. Its funny that I never really paid attention to the lyrics before until nearly 30 years later. Its also hard to believe the song is 30 years old. When we were growing up in the 1980s, thirty years was the 1950s, which seemed like a million years away and completely different than what we were used to (as the film Back to the Future gladly mocked).

Olivia Newton-John was one of two ladies I found attractive as a young boy (Debbie Harry of the band Blondie was actually my biggest celebrity crush for some reason). When you think about the early 1980s and the fitness craze that brought to mind leg-warmers, headbands, and leotards, who made those all fashionable? That's right. Olivia Newton-John! All the boys I knew at that time found Olivia Newton-John to be our dream woman fantasy. Compared to all the female pop stars of today, no one holds a candle to Newton-John. She's simply a classy, beautiful, and talented lady. Wish she still had hits on the radio today. I'll gladly trade in Lady GaGa, Kei$ha, and Katy Perry in for another Newton-John hit single. How about it, Hollywood?

No comments: