Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Guard the Change

Today is a day of reckoning. Will we continue to move forward, or will we take a huge step backwards? I'm not going to pretend to be an independent. Of course I'm a Democrat, because I think the Republican Party has been a disaster for our country throughout history. In fact, there have only been three Republican Presidents that were good for our country (Lincoln, T. Roosevelt, and Eisenhower). The rest have done major damage, while pretending to be a friend to the little guy (even as they picked their pockets). When are people going to wake up and see reality? Yes, the Democrats in Congress can be spineless and wimpy. But the Republicans are downright bullies and thugs, who aren't afraid of throwing their weight around and getting their way.

I dropped off my ballot on Thursday. I voted straight Democratic again. Though I flirted with the idea of voting for Chris Dudley for the governor's office, in the end, I simply could not do it. President Obama had made a convincing case for why Oregonians should give former governor John Kitzhaber a third term. Besides, with Dudley, there was his lack of political experience (this would be his first public office if he wins), his sketchy voting history, his deciding to live in Washington state for a few years while he was a Blazers basketball player to avoid paying Oregon's ridiculously high income tax. He obviously lives in Oregon now, for several years. The point was clear...a political neophyte with big money donors backing him reminded me too much of George W. Bush. Chris may seem like a likable guy, but in the end, it was his party affiliation that I cannot stand. I do not trust the Republican Party at all. I've never liked the modern Republican Party for as long as I could remember, but my feelings are even more deeply entrenched now. I will not mince words when I say this: I DESPISE the Republican Party and everything they stand for. I want to see that party go the way of the Whigs.

Here's hoping that the American people are not as stupid as the corporate media likes to think we all are. The media pundit class have been predicting for months that the Republicans would take back control of Congress. However, some data has been released which shows conflicting information. The polling could be skewed Republican due to the fact that cell phones are not called and most young people and likely Democratic voters only have a cell phone. Landline phone users are likely to be Republicans. So there's that. Then there's a thing called "The Bradley Effect". Remember that? In 2008, the corporate media kept reporting on the possibility that Obama might lose even though polls showed him ahead because voters were too afraid to be seen as "racist" to pollsters, so that many people who indicated that they would vote for Obama actually voted for McCain in the privacy of the booth. Did not happen. This proves that the media creates (or tries to, anyway) scenarios that they hope will come true, because they want the conflict to continue to rage on. It makes for good copy that Obama and the Democrats are always fighting with the Republicans over this or that piece of legislation.

So, forget the polls and the pundits. The only thing that matters in the end is YOUR VOTE. Please vote wisely. We've seen what a Republican Party in power is willing to do to a Democratic President. Do we really want to go back to the Gingrich years, when the immoralist Newt actually had the gall to say that "the president is irrelevant." Um, hate to burst your bubble, but America is not a parliamentary form of democracy. The Speaker of the House is not the Prime Minister.

If you need inspiration to get off your lazy asses to go vote, please check out the headlines on a French newspaper in 2008. The world was vestly interested in our national elections last time. Don't we owe it to the world (if we don't care about our own self interest) to not bring back into power the very party that helped weaken our country? All I'm saying is: Give Democrats a Chance! After all, Republicans were able to win the mid-term election in Bush's first term. Why not extend the same courtesy to Obama? If things are still bad in our country in 2012, then vote for the Republican slate of candidates if you wish. But for now, all Obama has managed to do is stop the bleeding of our hemorrhaging country. Voting Republican would only re-open the wound. Who in their right minds would allow that to happen? Didn't think so.

3 comments:

Mandalynn said...

I had decided not to vote this year, but today I've had a nagging feeling of guilt all day. I'm sure I'll make it to the polls before the day is over.

Sansego said...

The only election I did not vote in was 1998. Part of that had to do with my disgust over Clinton's affair. I just didn't care enough to give him Democratic support. Plus, I was in Utah and didn't want to register to vote in Utah since I knew I would move away after college. Being in Utah, I didn't hear about the races in my home state of Georgia, so I figured that it was better to not vote than vote in ignorance. It was those combination of factors that made me sit that one out. However, I did participate in exit polling for BYU and that was a fun experience!

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Depressing results, but not surprising.