Monday, June 28, 2010

Madonna Music Video Monday: Who's That Girl?



To inaugurate summer, I'm selecting one of my favourite Madonna movie songs, "Who's That Girl?" I was really crazy about this song in the summer of 1987, as it has an incredible sound to it and I loved her Spanish phrases. This single actually came as a surprise, because she just had a string of five singles from her excellent True Blue album ("Live to Tell", "Papa Don't Preach", "True Blue", "Open Your Heart", and "La Isla Bonita"). I thought her next single would be "Love Makes the World Go Round", but instead came a brand new song from her summer release. I loved it on first listen and went out to buy the single. Now, everytime I hear it, I always think of my family's 3 week vacation in the British Isles (other songs that remind me of that vacation include: Debbie Gibson's "Only in My Dreams", Terence Trent D'Arby's "Wishing Well", Spagna's "Call Me", Michael Jackson's "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", and Whitney Houston's "Just the Lonely Talking Again").

I did not actually see the movie "Who's That Girl?" until I was in college, when I rented it out of curiosity. As expected, Madonna's acting was horrendous. She was funny, but in an unintentional way. No wonder why the movie bombed. Another case where her single was a hit but her movie was not. When the soundtrack album was released, Madonna's name appears on it as though it was one of her official releases, despite her only having four songs (the title song, "Causing a Commotion", "Can't Stop", and "The Look of Love"). She had more songs on the Evita soundtrack, but that one was classified as the offical soundtrack. The rest of the Who's That Girl? album featured other artists and many of the songs reflect the 80s sound.

In future Music Video Monday selections, I will be featuring the songs from movies in 1985, which was an amazing year. So many 80s artists had theme songs to movies that year. I don't recall another year that had so many theme songs that became hits. A part of me wonders is the reason why 1985 had so many was because of the success Prince found in 1984 with his Purple Rain soundtrack. Perhaps seeing how that album put Prince in the stratosphere of superstardom only encouraged other 80s artists to jump on the movie theme song bandwagon: Duran Duran, Huey Lewis and the News, Tina Turner, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, and Pat Benetar, all come to mind.

No comments: