Friday, May 28, 2010

The Summer of Suck

A few weeks ago, I bought an issue of Entertainment Weekly magazine, which I used to subscribe to, but over the years, I have decided to no longer subscribe to any magazines in order to cut down on my "packrat tendencies". I only buy specific issues of this magazine, Time, Vanity Fair, Newsweek, Writer's Digest, or various travel magazines. Now, I generally only buy Entertainment Weekly's special double issues. The last one I bought was the annual summer movies schedule, with descriptions of the major films. To my dismay, for the first time since the early 1980s, there is not a SINGLE movie that I am excited to see this summer. For more than twenty-seven years, there has always been at least one or two movies that I was really excited about seeing. We're talking about the kind of excitement where I can't sleep because I'm too excited for opening day.

Last summer, the new Star Trek and the adaptation of Dan Brown's Angels and Demons were the two "can't miss" films of the summer. The best summer that I can recall, however, was the summer of 1989, when there were new Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Ghostbusters, and Lethal Weapon movies, along with the much anticipated Batman, and the excellent Vietnam War film Casualties of War. I used to buy Premiere magazine (does this even exist anymore?), which had its predictions on which movies would make how much money, and they even ranked them. I loved seeing how close they came, or more often was the case, how far off their predictions were.

I suppose this lack of being excited over summer movies is a sign that I've officially become an adult. I no longer have any trace of the adolescent in me who gets excited over summer movies. In fact, my dad once warned me that when I live long enough, I'll see the same ideas come around again. This is certainly true regarding the new Robin Hood movie. Nineteen years ago, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (starring Kevin Costner) was the most anticipated movie of the summer for me. I was new in the Navy, attending my "A" School after Basic Training and on the radio was Bryan Adams' theme song to the film: "(Everything I Do) I Do it For You." I remember reading a quote by Amy Grant (who also had a hit song that year, "Baby Baby") complaining that her song was locked out of the #1 slot because of Bryan Adams' syrupy ballad. Anyhow, though the Kevin Costner version wasn't a perfect film, it did accomplish its mission. I can't think of any reason why someone would want to make another Robin Hood movie. Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe's version simply fails to excite me. Perhaps if they made a modern-day version of Robin Hood in the corporate office, stealing from the greedy executives to give to the underpaid administrative staff, I'd be interested. Yeah...a Robin Hood in an Enron-environment, that would definitely get me interested enough to part with my $10.

I guess in the age of Netflix, there's really little reason for me to go out to a theater to see a movie, unless its a huge event film in 3-D that is better on the big screen (that would be Avatar, naturally!). There are no major bio-pics coming out, though Julia Roberts is starring in an adaptation of the popular book club selection, Eat, Pray, Love. That might be worth seeing, if I could snag a date for it. On a positive note, this weekend, theaters are still showing Ewan MacGregor's The Ghostwriter, and since I've become a ghostwriter myself, I may just have to check this film out in the theaters. The rest of this summer, though, I guess I don't need any distractions from my major goal to find a job. My goal is to make the summer of 2010 "the Summer of SynchroNICKity."

*Speaking of my ghostwriting gig, my co-worker informed me that his professor had read my most recent paper and gave the highest grade in the class, complimenting him on writing an extremely well-written paper. My co-worker was stunned...but I've gotten such praises on my writing style all my life (from elementary school, through high school, and in college). Praise matters little to me. Just give me a publishing contract already, damn it! I'm ready to see how my writing does in the marketplace of ideas: the bookstore!

1 comment: