Monday, April 12, 2010

Music Video Monday: Justin Timberlake



For this week's music video selection, I'm going with my favourite song by Justin Timberlake: "What Goes Around...Comes Around." I've been wanting to showcase this song for several weeks now, and what perfect timing. On Saturday's post, I mentioned "karmic retribution" and this song's title seems to refer to that belief. I can't remember when I started believing that karma is reality, but its an idea with more credence than any other spiritual idea out there. What people need to understand, though, is that karma is not punishment. Its more like a metaphysical law. Once you learn how the world works, you can work within the system / order to achieve your goals.

For instance, let's take the law of gravity. If you jump from a skyscraper without a parachute or hanglider or anything to break your landing, you will splatter on the pavement. This is true whether you are moral or immoral. The Law of Gravity is not a judgment. It's just the way the world was set up. So, if this is easy to understand, then what's so hard about believing that karma is not a judgment system? Its merely a matching of what you put out. You reap what you sow. What goes around comes around. Our world would be a lot better off if people lived with this view that the evil they do to others will come back around to them someday.

This song is incredible in its musical arrangements. In fact, in an interview I read about Madonna, when she was asked why she wanted to work with Justin Timberlake, she mentioned the brilliance of this song. She just thought it was incredibly genius, and it is. This song (and the album its from, FutureSex/LoveSounds) is what separates Justin Timberlake from the many other washed up former boy bands who failed to find a successful solo act. He knows hip and its interesting to see that a precocious 16 year old (Justin Bieber) seems to be following his style to appeal to the teenybopper market. After Madonna collaborated with Britney Spears, I guess it was a natural progression for her to perform with Justin Timberlake. I don't care much for their song ("4 Minutes"), but I think the dance moves in the video are pretty awesome.

1 comment:

Mandalynn said...

This video made my day. There's nothing like a little JT to make me smile. No one exemplifies sex appeal more than he does. Thank you, Thank you.