Monday, April 26, 2010

Madonna Monday: True Blue




For this month's Madonna music video selection, I have chosen "True Blue", which I had never seen until I bought Madonna's ultimate video collection last year. This was the title song to her third album, released in 1986 (the same year as Bananarama's True Confessions and Cyndi Lauper's True Colors albums). The song has a kind of 1950s doo-wop bop feel to it, thus the music video was perfect for the song. Its Madonna singing to her gal pals about her "true love" (that would have been Mr. Sean Penn at the time).

What I love most about this music video is the African American lady. I'm a sucker for any lady who has that hairstyle (I believe its called the "pageboy"). I don't know why I find this hairstyle on ladies to be the ultimate in sexy, but it is. I have no idea who that African American lady is, but she is hot. Zoe Saldana hot. Halle Berry hot. She should've been given more screen time, but it was cool to see her included, because if this music video's setting was true to the 1950s, I doubt that American society would've looked too kindly on Madonna's integrated group of friends. In 1986, it was no big deal. The more famous of Madonna's gal pals in this video is Debi Mazar (who is hilarious on Entourage). She's in a few of Madonna's videos.

The True Blue album is still my favourite of Madonna's albums (Madonna shares a unique distinction with Johnny Clegg in being the only artist in which I have all of their albums on CDs). It marked the first transformation of Madonna (when she ditched her cut-up clothing and lingerie on the outside style for a more mature look). I listened to that album a lot in the summer and fall of 1986. Even the Evangelical Christian youth group I was a participant of liked this album, and the youth leader (a soldier whose rank I forget, though he must have been in his mid-to-late 20s) who did not like Madonna at all (or her values), found "La Isla Bonita" irresistable. I consider this album to be the most perfect "pop" album. Over the years, Madonna has released albums of more lyrical depth and irresistable rhythms, but True Blue captured the mid-1980s well. Whenever I listen to this album, I'm automatically transported back to the summer of 1986 when I had my first job in downtown Fulda, West Germany working with American dependent wives and German ladies at the Civilian Personnel Office. Other groups I listened to that summer included Falco ("Rock Me Amadeus" was a huge favourite for me), Whitney Houston, Genesis (loved "Invisible Touch"), and Mike and the Mechanics ("Silent Running" is still awesome).

No comments: