Wednesday, March 10, 2010

One Hundred Thousand Hits!

Sometime after midnight on March 10th, 2010, my blog had its 100,000th hit from someone in Auckland, New Zealand. Whoo-hoo! A major milestone that happened far sooner than I expected. This number comes from my tracker that I added to my blog at the end of April or early May in 2008. I wish I had added a counter when I first started (to get an accurate count), but it took awhile to learn how things work and how to go about tracking things.

For most of the past two years, I averaged around 2,000 hits a month, with anywhere from 7 to 15 "regular readers" each day. Most of the people find my blog through a Google image search (see...having pictures increases your traffic!). I've gotten hits from all over the world, in some unexpected places: Baghdad, Tehran, Beijing, Tel Aviv, and even poor African nation of Mali! I've had hits from government agencies like the White House, the State Department, the CIA, the NSA, the FBI, various Congressional offices, and a few governors and mayors offices. Most of those are specific, when I write about a certain famous politician. The most popular post surprises me and I wish it wasn't...but it is what it is! That post would be the one I had written about Octomom and Rush Limbaugh (suggesting that those two should get married, as both have what the other person needs). It is by far the most popular post for many months now. What this means is that while some posts get around 10 to 15 hits for every 500 hits, the Octomom/OxyContin post gets anywhere from 200 to 350 hits per 500 hits. I average between 120 to 400 hits per day. Some days spike, but when they do, its nearly always because of the Octomom/OxyContin post that people are finding through Google searches. Weird.

In January, I thought I was going to reach a major milestone in having 10,000 hits in a single month. I was about 400 hits short of that milestone. The previous record was 7,000 hits in a single month. There's a certain bell curve going on as more posts are written. I'm proud of the fact that my word "Sansego" is associated with this blog. In a Google search, its the first item that comes up. If you Google search "Seth Moulton", my blog post (about him making an excellent president for when our generation comes to power) is one of the top two or three that come up. Its like this for quite a few posts. It pays to have a wordy and diverse blog. My next goal is half a million hits. I'd love to see the number double by year's end. Its nice to get my ideas out there...but with millions of blogs out there, I'm just impressed that I have reached a major milestone.

Also this year, I had written my 1,000th post. I can't remember which post was the 1,000th one, but I think it was in February. Here's to the next 100,000 hits and 1,000 posts. Happy reading and Google searching!

No comments: