Monday, January 04, 2010

Music Video Monday: Spagna



For this week's music video selection, I picked a huge European hit from my adolescence: "Call Me" by Spagna. I have no idea if this song ever played on American radio, because I was living in Europe when it hit the charts (1987). I first heard this song during my family's three week tour of the British Isles in August 1987 (that was the summer I also listened a lot to U2's The Joshua Tree, Whitney Houston's second album, Madonna's Who's That Girl, as well as discover through British radio artists like Spagna, Terence Trent D'Arby, and even Debbie Gibson. I also heard Michael Jackson's long-awaited new song during that vacation: "I Just Can't Stop Loving You").

What I love about "Call Me" is that it is what I consider a "high-energy pop song." You can't help but feel awesome listening to it. And what a way to start this new year and decade off right. Its my clarion call to the universe. I want new jobs, new ladies, and literary agents to call me this year. This is the year of big changes. Its all I'm going to really care about this year: inviting the new experiences into my life. I'm ready for a new direction. All it takes is a simple phone call to change my world.

No comments: