Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Happy Seven Eight Nine Day!


My brother told me this joke a few years ago...and he wondered why I didn't laugh. Um...because I heard it in elementary school! But, I give him credit. He tries hard to make me laugh. Unfortunately, my humour is more satirical, snarky, and ironic. I love laughing at absurdities. For example, I'm still laughing my ass off about the joke McCain unleashed on the American public. Didn't Republican voters know that the joke was on them? Get a clue, people! Sarah Palin is a never-ending joke and you still take her seriously!

In fact, a USA Today poll found that 7 out of 10 Republicans would vote for her in 2012. I've read liberal comments and blogs in which many want her to run and win the nomination, so that President Obama can have an easy reelection. However, given our history (Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and George W. Bush), I've learned not to laugh too hard. Those three politicians were deemed "unelectable" by the arrogantly elite and sophisticated people...yet we ended up having all three for president. All three won reelection, too (two of them in the biggest landslides, one by the closest margin ever by a sitting president). I know from personal experience of having lived in Europe for six years that Americans don't value intelligence as much as Europeans do. Proof of that can be found in the 2000 election. Gore was viewed as a condescending, intellectual snob, while Bush was the charming and folksy guy voters would love to have a beer with.

What scares me even more is the possibility of Democrats crossing over to vote in the Republican primaries just to help Sarah Palin win the nomination. If some scenario occurred where she became the President by fluke or fraud, would these liberal Democrats still be laughing? All I can say is that if someone as moronic as Palin could end up as president, I'm getting the hell out of the country. I love America, but the Bush years were painful and my impression is that Palin is so intellectually vapid that she makes Bush look downright genius. In fact, I'd rather have Bush for president again than Palin.

I read an article which claims that Palin allies are blaming Mitt Romney for digging up dirt on Palin's background. I've thought that myself, when he was passed over as McCain's running mate in favour of this unknown neophyte in Alaska. However, Romney should be thankful that his political fortune was not tied to McCain's defeat. The history of Vice Presidential candidates on losing campaigns don't bode very well (they never get the nomination the next round: 2004 - John Edwards, 2000 - Joseph Lieberman, 1996 - Jack Kemp, 1992 - Dan Quayle, 1988 - Lloyd Bentsen, 1984 - Geraldine Ferraro, 1980 - Walter Mondale, 1976 - Bob Dole, 1972 - Sargent Shriver).

Another history in Romney's favour is that Republicans have the tradition of backing the candidate who ran in a previous primary cycle: John McCain ran in 2000, Bob Dole in 1980 and 1988, George Herbert Walker Bush in 1980, Ronald Reagan in 1976, Richard Nixon in 1960. In 2000, George Walker Bush bucked the trend, but only because he was the son of the previous Republican president and not only bore the same name, but looked a lot like him and had qualities that some thought were better than his father (extroverted personality and more conservative). So, with that in mind, Mitt Romney's biggest challenge for the 2012 Republican nomination appears to be Jeb Bush.

So...you hear me liberal Democrats who think supporting Palin for the Republican nomination will help Obama to reelection victory...don't even go there! We simply cannot afford to take that chance. Too many previous liberals laughed at the possibility that America would elect someone as paranoid as Nixon, an actor like Reagan or a buffoon like Bush. The end result is that the Republicans always had the last laugh, and our country has suffered greatly for it (remember Watergate, Iran-Contra, and everything about Bush's reign of errors?). We simply cannot afford even the remotest possibility of Palin being on the general election ballot in 2012.

I will be doing my part to help Mitt Romney secure the nomination in 2012, though I'm hoping Florida Governor Charlie Crist will run just to make that race interesting. Crist seems like a reasonable guy and not morals obsessed like most of his party. Then again, he supposedly has a reason not to be.

The photo below is from a recent issue of Runner's World magazine, where Governor Palin does her beauty pageantry poses and claims that she could beat Obama in an actual race because she has endurance. The magazine issue could not be more timely! That's like the funniest thing I heard. Miss Quitter is talking about endurance and thinking she has more than Obama, who truly did not wilt under pressure during his two year run for the White House. I think Billy Ocean should remake his hit song and dedicate it to Sarah Palin: "When the Going Gets Tough, Sarah Palin Gets Going."

Happy 7 (Ate) 9 Day, everyone! Tell a good joke and save the bad ones for the Republican Party.

No comments: