Saturday, August 09, 2008

Another Cheater Exposed



So, another politicians fesses up to sexual infidelity. Surprise, surprise! This time it's John Edwards. Can't say that I'm really surprised, though (have you seen his wife?!?). Though he was my second choice in 2004 for the Democratic nomination, for this year's nominating contest, he dropped to #3. Something about him rubbed me the wrong way. It was the combination of his $400 haircut, his new mega-mansion, and what I perceived as arrogant ambition to continue running when his wife was diagnosed with an uncureable cancer. The man had no shame, despite the sunny, populist image he tried to present to the world.

I know some have dismissed the expensive haircut as a fluff non-issue, but to me, it showed that he learned nothing from President Clinton, who was run through the ringer early on in his presidency for having an expensive haircut on Air Force One at LAX. Now, with rumours of his affair confirmed by a confession, he shows even more how much he did not learn from the Clinton years. To that, I have to say, thank God he didn't win the Democratic nomination. Some said that he deserved to be the nominee because the Democrats would absolutely win (his candidacy wouldn't fall into the unknown variables that having a woman or a black man nominee does). But, here's the thing...he had the affair in 2006! He hasn't stopped running for president since 2003. It was well known after Team John-John got flushed by voters in November 2004 that he would run again in 2008. So, what kind of person has an affair while running for president, especially on a campaign of morality and integrity? Even Bush isn't that lame or hypocritical.

Here's excerpts from an Associated Press article on John Edwards confession:

In his statement, he said, "It is inadequate to say to the people who believed in me that I am sorry, as it is inadequate to say to the people who love me that I am sorry.

"In the course of several campaigns, I started to believe that I was special and became increasingly egocentric and narcissistic. If you want to beat me up feel free. You cannot beat me up more than I have already beaten up myself. I have been stripped bare and will now work with everything I have to help my family and others who need my help."

The National Enquirer first reported on the affair in October 2007, in the run-up to the Democratic primaries, and Edwards denied it.

"The story is false," he told reporters then. "It's completely untrue, ridiculous." He professed his love for his wife, who had an incurable form of cancer, saying, "I've been in love with the same woman for 30-plus years and as anybody who's been around us knows, she's an extraordinary human being, warm, loving, beautiful, sexy and as good a person as I have ever known. So the story's just false."

In 1999, when Edwards was a senator, he said of President Bill Clinton and his affair with Monica Lewinsky:

"I think this president has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen."

Take note of the highlighted and bolded statement. At least he's honest about the reasons for his downfall. It's the same as Clinton's excuse that he had an affair "because I can." It seems to be the biggest problem with men in positions of power. They abuse their power and think they can get away with things they expect the rest of the population to abide by. What's most telling is what he said in response to Clinton's adultery. Though it's unknown if this is the first time Edwards cheated on his wife, or if he was guilty of hypocrisy when he made that statement.

Because of this indiscretion, I hope he will not serve in President Obama's cabinet. I would strongly object to his becoming the Attorney General now, in light of this scandal. I'm not a moralist, but it makes me mad when men get greedy and cheat on their wives. People who abuse their trust in that way should not be rewarded with plush jobs and such. Edwards should be forced to live on minimum wage and let someone else have a shot at a coveted position.

What makes this scandal even more disturbing than just an affair is that he paid his mistress a six-figure sum for her start-up company to do some videos for his campaign. It smells of blackmail. Former Governor of New Jersey McGreevey had the same problem of putting his lover into a job he didn't qualify for. What is it with these politicians? Somehow, I can't help but think the woman knew what she was doing, using sex to land an important account. She ended up giving birth to somebody's love child, which Edwards claims isn't his. Even stranger is that Edwards' campaign aide claims to be the father. Did they have a three-way or something? That's pretty sleazy.

The little respect I had for John Edwards is now lost. He deserves to follow the same fate as other disgraced politicians: Newt Gingrich, Gary Hart, Eliot Spitzer, James McGreevey, Larry Craig, and Mark Foley. Cheating on your spouse should be the kiss of death for holding political office. If your wife can't trust you, why should America trust you?

I feel bad for Elizabeth Edwards, especially. To be diagnosed with an uncureable cancer and know that your time on earth is shorter than you'd like, and to have your husband pull a Clinton on you in the middle of a presidential campaign...I can't imagine anything more humiliating. She deserves better treatment from her husband of thirty years. All he had to say about it was that he never loved the woman he had an affair with. Great...piss off both women. I'm sure his mistress didn't want to hear that, though any woman who gets involved with a married man has to know that their hanky-panky is generally lust more than love. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turns out that his mistress was a Republican operative. I just didn't think Edwards could be that dumb. But I never voted for him, so my judge of character stands correct. He just rubbed me the wrong way and now, I hope that he'll never work in government again. Obscurity is the only place he belongs. Good riddance!

5 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

I was just as disgusted, Nicholas. I would have voted for him if he had won the campaign. Now as far as I am concerned, he's history. He is sleazy. I feel so bad for his poor wife. What she has gone through.

I agree she had allowed herself to get fat over the years and that is a turnoff for many men but that is not a reason to be unfaithful.

I agree it should have remained a private matter between her and her husband and family but he was a presidential candidate and needs to be trustworthy.

patsy said...

How would you look if you had breast cancer and under going cemo?
besides I have noticed in my 70 years the better looking men choice women who are not so good looking. They don't want to be out shown by thier mates.
as for his affair most men who are rich and powerful will do what every they can sexual and this man had power and riches.
I am not saying he is right just human and we all have feet of clay if we have the wisdom to take off our shoes and look close at our feet.

Sansego said...

I meant no disrespect to Elizabeth. She looks fine for her age. The problem is that he doesn't look like he aged at all. He's still boyish looking and it shouldn't surprise anyone that women would be chasing after him. The disappointment is that after condemning Clinton for his affair, Edwards couldn't resist temptation himself...and this when he was already running for president. That he didn't think this would come out is shocking.

Even more alarming, Edwards claimed that he told his wife in 2006 about the affair. She was diagnosed with an uncureable cancer sometime after the affair supposedly ended, but they decided to stay in the race. That means Elizabeth supported John continuing his candidacy even though she knew he cheated on her. Her cancer diagnosis gave them an easy out, but they thought they could fool voters and not have this affair exposed.

I'm glad that John Edwards is not the nominee or the VP nominee. If he truly loves to help people in poverty improve their lives, I hope he does it in obscurity. I don't care to hear any more about him in the news. His fifteen minutes of fame are long over.

I wouldn't be surprised if Edwards went back to his mistress after his wife's cancer finally proves fatal. She got the raw end of the deal...a cheating husband who hasn't aged and a fatal cancer that will take a miracle to cure. She probably won't live to see her two youngest graduate from high school. John disrespected her in the worst way possible and I don't know how he can ever make it up to her.

patsy said...

so like Hillary, Elizbeth is comdemed for standing by her man.
He will find a new play thing when she is dead forget the old flame.
so I did get loud about her but I have a sister who is dieing with cancer undergoing chemo and I can tell you what it does to a beatiful face and body. she isn't fat she is swelled up from the poison they put into her body to give her a few more days on this earth not years but days.
This arose as a quotation by John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902). The historian and moralist, who was otherwise known simply as Lord Acton, expressed this opinion in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
One of my favorite presidents JFK said try walking a mile in someone shoes before we find fault.
We know now that JFK was a womanizer also.
so I say God bless Elizbeth and have mercy on John. He will need it.

Sansego said...

I find it interesting that you're defending a man who committed adultery and praising a woman who chooses to "stand by her man."

I'm not faulting Elizabeth for her choices. However, what I'm critical of is that she knew about the affair when John was campaigning for votes. They had a chance to drop out with dignity when she was diagnosed with cancer...but she chose to continue the lie.

Their presidential aspirations was considered more important than the Democratic Party's best chance to win the presidency. I have no sympathy for either of them.