Sunday, August 19, 2007

Excerpt from Chapter 2 (Part 2)


In case you're not aware of it, but I had posted Chapter 2 of my novel excerpt a bit later than the original post date (I have spotty wireless service, so I don't want to write lengthy posts and not have them posted on the blog...it's happened too many times to make it frustrating).

So, if you haven't read it, you might want to check it out. I will post soon the second part of the chapter...but not all of the Shellback Initiation, because you'll lose your lunch! However, I'll give you a taste and then the final few paragraphs, which makes a good segue into Chapter 3, which shifts back to Kennedy Bradford's last year in high school. The novel is designed to be circular, like the seasons of a year, to fit with the title, Seasons of Silent War.

I'll post soon...so please go back and read the chapter 2 excerpt if you dare (about the crossdressing pageant that went on in the "old Navy"). Since all ships are capable of having female crewmembers, I heard that they really watered down the whole crossing of the equator rituals. But my novel reflects the ceremony as it existed up to at least 1999, according to a good friend of mine who actually underwent the ceremony and gave me the gory details to write about it. Enjoy...or not!

2 comments:

D/B/c/m said...

where is it? couldn't find it. what's the title?

D/B/c/m said...

never mind. i found it. you are a very talented writer.

interesting, but it certainly isn't a world i want to immerse myself in. i have always had a deep repulsion to military culture. kinda makes me sick. i think it has something to do with a jerk i dated who went to air force acadamy.