Tuesday, June 12, 2007

PoP! Goes My Heart


I finally got around to seeing "Music and Lyrics" last night and had I known it would be this good, I would've seen it in theaters! I'm a huge fan of the 1980s. Why not? It was the decade that I grew up in (finishing 2nd grade in 1980 and starting my senior year in high school in 1989). I love the music of the 1980s and can never get enough of it. So, when this film opened with a faux music video, replicating the fashion, the hair, the videos, and the infectious melody with often cheesy lyrics...I knew I was in for a treat.

It's like they put into a blender all those British/Euro New Wave and Pop bands like Duran Duran, a-ha, the Thompson Twins, the Eurythemics, the Pet Shop Boys, Tears for Fears, Wang Chung, ABC, and of course, a huge portion of Wham!

Thank you, ma'am. That'll do. The song "PoP! Goes My Heart" is infectiously irresistable as they come and I watched the music video over and over. I can't get enough of it (like a lot of 80s pop songs). I thought it was interesting that Drew Barrymore agreed to do this film, considering her previous ode to 80s music, "The Wedding Singer" from 1998. I'm glad though, as she is a natural to play in this film. Hugh Grant did a terrific job, playing the sidekick shadow of the famous duo group, PoP!, in which he faded into obscurity while his more flamboyant half went on to greater success and wealth (shades of George Michael vs. Andrew Ridgeley).

What I also loved about the film was the singing teen sensation Cora, who is supposed to be a mix between Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera, as though they transitioned from sexpot to spirituality a la Madonna and her post-Evita Kabbalah craze. Instead, we get a singer who uses Buddhism and Hinduism in her music and concerts, which I'd love for a singer to do in reality. In fact, a few years ago, I was hoping that Britney would realize that her continuous downward slope of making her songs more sexually provocative in spite of dwindling sales should have been a sign to pursue something unexpected and different in her music. Cora paints the way, though it's a shame that a movie studio thought of it first. But, it was good to see on film and made for a lot of humourous moments.

The duet that the two must complete in less than a week's time turns out to be the kind of ballad that "American Idol" aims for but often misses. I didn't think the song created in this film was cheesy at all. From the title to the melody, it has hit written all over it. "Way Back Into Love" is the kind of song I could listen to over and over, with my cd set on repeat. I'm glad that the film did find good songs to feature, as it really made what I thought would be another lame romantic comedy into something pretty clever, different, and extremely likeable. In fact, I'm going out to look for the soundtrack now. It's irresistable, what can I say?

2 comments:

Mandalynn said...

I loved this movie. I saw it in theatres and bought the soundtrack. It's well worth it. I did a post on it back in February. Check it out:

http://mandalynnsmemoirs.blogspot.com/2007/02/pop-goes-my-heart.html

Sansego said...

I did read your post on it at the time. I should've went to see it in theaters back then, but I think romantic comedies have an iffy spot record, and I didn't like Hugh Grant's "American Dreamz" movie as I thought I would.

I bought the soundtrack last night and have been listening to it nonstop. I love it! And I love your post on it as well.