Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sanjaya, Sanjaya, Sanjaya!


I'm taking a break from posting about the more weighty and important topics of war, our government, politics, and world affairs to discuss something else...American Idol!

So, this year isn't as good as last year. As one article I read claimed, the show has already crested and is entering its decline. Though it's contracted through 2010, we still have to endure a few more years of it before it most likely fades into television history. Signs of the decline? That a horrible singer like Sanjaya can make it week after week, after showing himself to be the worst of the bunch. Only a few are good this year, compared to last year's awesome cast of 12, who could all very well end up with CDs of their own. This year, I'd like to see Melinda Doolittle and Blake make it to the final two. But for some reason, I'm afraid Sanjaya might slip in through there. There was a dare by Howard Stern to get fans to vote for Sanjaya. Well, not fans, but people who just hate the show and want to see its demise. Who knows? It's sad to see what a spectacle he's making of himself. But he should do everyone a favor and quit. I mean, how would he really feel if he wins the whole thing, knowing he truly doesn't deserve it. It would be like a politician assuming the presidency even though he didn't actually win the majority of the votes. Oops! Maybe that's just the way our country is set up. The winners are not always the most deserving. It's whoever can scheme the most.

Honestly though, if Sanjaya were to win this season, I hope it speeds up the demise of the show. It's getting kind of ridiculous the number of Idol contestants coming out with CDs. It hardly leaves room for those talented people out there playing in dive bars and hoping for a record contract. And even the winners can lose, as the case with Taylor Hicks, whose post-Idol CD (and third one) barely sold half a million copies. Not bad for a new singer and a lot better than his two previous CDs sold for...but compared to past Idol winners and losers, his career is sputtering fast. And he was my favorite of all the ones I've seen. So, it only proves to me how fickle the "American Idol" viewer is. Kind of like the American public at large. At first, they were gung ho about war and accused everyone who was against war as being traitorous, now they are anti-war and haven't apologized to the people who've been anti-war from the start. What's this got to do with Idol? I don't know...just that we're a fickle headed lot. No wonder why we can't compete globally against Europe and China. We're seduced by talentless hucksters and ignorant of relevant news.

Now, back to the more serious topics...

2 comments:

Mandalynn said...

I find it interesting that you are such a dedicated American Idol fan. I know people love it, but I just don't get it. I guess I can't make and educated judgement - I have never seen a single episode.

Sansego said...

You're beginning to sound like Janell! She can't understand why I liked Britney Spears back in the day. It's like I'm put in this box of "cultural superiority" so people expect me to turn my nose up to "popular entertainment" like they do. Yes, I'm a liberal who doesn't listen to NPR, I love my music, I like reality shows. I don't know what the big deal is.

I don't know if I would say that I'm dedicated. I don't call in to help out the singers I like the most. And before last year, my favorite singer always got eliminated and I lost interest. Only last year did I watch until the very end, because I was for Taylor Hicks all the way.